Friday, October 2, 2009

Fri, Oct 2 - First Post-Surgery Office Visit

To get ready for my first post-surgery office visit today, I got in the shower last night. Showers have turned into lengthy processes these days, although I'm not complaining. I'm just thankful I can actually shower rather than taking sponge-baths. It took me at least an hour to shower last night. Another crappy night of sleep on the recliner and loveseat. Stalked Facebook and did emails and other Internet surfing until I got sleepy - ha! That was about 2-5am.

Had my first post-surgery office visit today. Dr. S's nurse removed both breast drains - hooray! I go back on Monday to remove the remaining 2 abdominal drains. What a relief. Didn't get to see the doctor, but I will on Monday. I feel like I should genuflect (no offense intended) when I see him. I think he's nothing short of a miracle worker and an artist to boot. If anyone is considering having this surgery in the Dallas area, contact me and I'll give you his name. The hospital has hotel rooms on site if you need to travel for surgery.

The nurse says I don't have to wear my abdominal binder any more - although I must admit I've never worn it except the day I was discharged from the hospital. It looks like a foot-wide ace bandage and it wouldn't stop sliding up my abdomen. So I wore it for a total of 1 hour on the drive home. I'm supposed to still avoid standing totally upright, but have not really used the walker Dr. S suggested. Too cumbersome. Guess my back muscles were stronger than I thought. I'm allowed to walk as much as I feel comfortable with, but not allowed to sleep on my side for another couple of weeks. I forgot to ask about driving. For now, my husband is taking vacation time and can drive me anywhere I need to go. I'm supposed to sleep on my back only with a pillow under my knees so my abdomen isn't too straight.

Still managing discomfort with Tylenol. Hope I finish my antibiotics soon because they're giving me heartburn. Pepcid seems to fix that.

Had a nap on my own bed plus sat in the backyard with my husband this afternoon. It's been a great day all around! More on Monday after my next office visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment