Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday, October 5, 2009 office visit

This was the first time I'd actually seen the doctor since my surgery 12 days ago, although I was in last Friday for a nurse visit. Dr. S was very pleased with how everything is healing. He was surprised that I'm managing without pain meds. I'm not trying to be a hero; I just don't need them. Tylenol and Advil do the trick.

I talked to him about my serious sleeping problems. For instance, I slept for 2 1/2 hours last night. I just can't sleep on my back anymore! He said that it's ok to start sleeping on my sides "lightly". No driving just yet. No need to wear the abdominal binder. No walking fully upright just yet although I can walk around as much as I want. No lifting anything over 10 lbs.

He broke it to me at the end of the visit that he wants to leave the 2 drains in for a few more days because it creates extra suction to hold the mesh in place. What mesh? I don't remember anything about that, although my husband said he was told about it after my surgery. I was completely thrown off guard by the drain issue, so I was doing my best to hold back tears. I'll find out more about this mesh when I go in next week.

It's funny how a week of sleep disturbance plus the news that I have to keep these drains for another week can really do a number of me. I kept from crying in the office, but cried all the way home. My poor husband. He was very sympathetic but I know he didn't really get it. He has a normal perspective on it - "just a minor setback", etc. But, to me, it was huge! I knew I was overreacting, but I just couldn't seem to get a grip. So, once I got home and had a little lunch, I decided that a side-sleeping nap was in order. I slept like a rock for 4 hours! I felt alot better once I woke up.

So, for anyone considering this surgery, please be warned that you'll probably have moments where you emotionally crater. It makes all the difference in the world if you have a reasonable and supportive husband. Thank goodness I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment